30 November 2014

Let's Talk about Weightloss - Introducing Kat

I'm so excited to introduce to you the wonderful Kat! Kat and I have known each other for a long time and have met in cyber space. She has been such an inspiration with her weightloss journey to myself and many others and I'm so excited that she's agreed to do this interview for me!

What was the catalyst for you wanting to lose weight?
My heart started playing up, it was skipping beats all over the place and taking my breath away. I was 33 years old and was put on heart medication. I’d be lying if I said that it didn’t scare me. The year prior, I’d had my gall bladder removed and was diagnosed with palindromic arthritis. I have PCOS, bad knees and a bad back. I also had lots of stomach problems and took pain medication most days for headaches. I kept thinking to myself “my body is failing me” but when I stepped back and looked at what I was eating the reality was, I was failing my body.


Prior to this successful weightloss, how many times have you attempted to get fit and healthy and failed?
I’ve struggled with my weight all my life, I have been everything from a size 14 down to a 6 and all the way up to a size 20. I have tried every fad diet out there and they all work while you’re doing them but when you stop, the weight just comes back.


What keeps you motivated? 
I want to be healthy, I want to be a positive influence for my son and I want to be around to see him grow up. I want to enjoy life rather than praying not to wake up in the morning because the pain is so bad.


Has your weightloss journey affected your relationship with your partner, friends and family? 
Absolutely! I’m cooking differently now and as a result my husband has lost 7kg without exercising. We both feel healthier and more confident which has had a positive effect on our relationship, we feel closer than ever.


My son and I now spend more quality time together. Before, I was too heavy and too lazy to get off the couch but now we walk down to the park together and chase each other around. He tries to copy me when I do step ups, push ups and sit ups. It’s so great seeing him more active.


I’m getting out more, being active with friends and family. My confidence levels are higher and I’m a much happier, positive person to be around.


How did you overcome those dreaded cravings?
I was a chocoholic but then I found chocolate protein shakes, YUM! They fill me up, kill the craving and give me energy to keep going. Try making one then warming up it up in the microwave it’s like thick chocolate custard, pure indulgence.


Healthy eating is often one of the most challenging parts of losing weight. Did you struggle with the emotional and psychological aspect of changing the way you eat? 
No, my depression was at an all time low so a positive step towards my health was only going to make me feel better. I didn’t see my changes as depriving myself though, I saw it as me finally feeding my body properly. We really need to stop looking at food as enjoyment, to be devoured whenever we want. Food is fuel for our bodies, pure and simple. If you’re putting in bad fuel, your body isn’t going to function properly.


What was your biggest downfall during this journey? 
Probably my knees, I find my knees pain holds me back from doing some things. I can’t do squats or lunges or anything that weight bears on a bent knee. I’ve just learnt how to adapt my workouts around them and keep going.


What do you eat on a typical day? 
Breakfast
1 x cup of black tea, 1 sugar with milk (haven’t been able to give this up yet)
2 to 3 egg whites, one yolk with a handful of spinach
If I’m really hungry I might have 1-2 pieces of rye toast as well.

Mid morning snack
A cup of peppermint or green tea
1 piece of fruit


Lunch
A piece of chicken breast or tin of tuna
A large handful of green salad or green veggies
A tablespoon of brown rice if I’m hungry


Mid afternoon snack
1 protein shake
If I’m hungry I might have some almonds too

Dinner
Chicken, fish or homemade lean beef rissoles
A large handful of green veggies or salad

What are your top 5 tips to others wanting to lose weight?
No.1 - Meal prep, I seriously cannot emphasise it enough. If you don’t prepare to eat well then it becomes too easy to grab takeaway or eat the wrong thing. It’s not about dieting it’s about a lifestyle change, you have to change your eating habits for life if you want to lose weight, keep it off and get healthy.


No.2 - Water, drink 2-3 litres a day. We often confuse thirst for hunger, if you are hydrated properly you are less likely to be hungry. You will also help your digestive system function better.. If you struggle to remember to drink water like I used to then set yourself goals, 500mls by 10am, another 500mls by 1pm, another 500mls by 4pm and the final 500mls before bed. Note: you will pee a lot at first but your body does adjust.


No.3 – Exercise. Something I read that stuck with me…You don’t find the time to exercise you make the time to exercise. Your health is important; it is a priority, so start making it one. If you aren’t functioning on 100% then everything else in your life suffers.


No.4 - Incidental exercise, park a bit further away, walk around the park while your child plays, do calf raises whilst filing up petrol (yes you may look silly but you will have better calves than everyone else there), every little bit counts so get moving.


No.5 –Don’t focus on how far you have to go, look at how far you have come. I can look in the mirror and say to myself “I still have 15kg to lose” and get sad about how far I still have to go or I can look in the mirror and say “I’ve lost 34kg” look how far I’ve come!  Setting small 5–10kg kg goals will see you hitting your goals sooner which will help keep you motivated and focused.

How did being overweight make you feel in day to day life? 
I was sick, tired, sore and seriously depressed. I had no self-confidence, I didn’t want to leave the house and I was miserable to be around.


How do you feel in day to day life now that you’re healthier and fitter? 
Like I could run a marathon (I probably couldn’t lol). I feel great, I am so much happier and sleeping so much better. No more daily headaches, my arthritis hasn’t flared up in months, my stomach problems are all gone. I have a lot more confidence and love being out in the sun enjoying life.


Weightloss is not only about getting fit and eating healthy but dealing with physiological strain? Do you struggle seeing yourself as a new and improved person or do you still think of yourself as the girl from a year ago? 
I am so different to the girl I was a year ago. I feel my clothes getting too big for me and get excited about having to buy a smaller size. I can see how far I’ve come and am trying to be more accepting of myself warts and all.



If you could give one piece of advice to a busy, sleep deprived mum, what would it be? 
Weight loss is 80% diet. Eat well, give your body the right type of fuel and it will reward you. Oh and youtube exercises you can do at home, get the kids involved and have fun.


What are some of the exercises that you’ve tried and which ones do you love?
I try to get to the gym most days and do some cardio and weight training. I love weight training, 3-4 sets with high reps will have you working up a sweat. Some days I’ll put a new movie on the tablet, take it to the gym and watch the movie while walking on the treadmill, before I know it I’ve done 1.5 hours of cardio. Nothing beats a sunny day running around a park with my son though, doesn’t even feel like exercise.


Thinking back, is there anything you would do differently? 
I wouldn’t have allowed myself to get that big in the first place but it’s given me the reality check I needed to start treating my body better and start appreciating life a bit more. If I can inspire just one other person to get healthier than it’s all been worth it.

February 2010                                                                   April 2010

June 2014                                                                     November 2014

                                                      October 2014 



























What do you all think about this amazing transformation from Kat? Has she inspired you a little bit to take on a healthier lifestyle? 


 photo Screenshot2014-04-28at51042PM_zps752d102f.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...